Crime Tips and Prevention
- Reduce or eliminate opportunities that may make you a target.
- Increase awareness in places where you're most comfortable.
- Prepare your schedule daily with safety in mind.
- Be AWARE of your surroundings at all times and trust your INSTINCTS.
- Stay in well lit, populated pathways. Avoid shortcuts.
- Travel in groups. There's always safety in numbers.
- Walk with your head upright. Make eye contact. Thieves often target victims who are not paying attention to their surroundings or who are looking down.
- Pay attention to your surroundings when using electronics on the streets and public places. Don't TUNE yourself out. DON'T WALK AND TEXT.
- Work with your neighbors to look out for one another and on your neighborhood at all times. Report suspicious activity.
- Do not keep extra keys under a doormat or planter, on a ledge, or in the mailbox.
- Set timers on lights when you’re away from home or your business is closed, so they appear to be occupied.
- Illuminate or eliminate places an intruder might hide: the spaces between trees or shrubs, stairwells, alleys, hallways, and entry ways.
- Install security systems and cameras wherever possible.
- Do not post on social media when your out of town.